Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Close call

One of my first non-Abby posts in a long time.

Those that know me, know I love my 1996 Volvo 850.  When Bryce and I were dating, I told him that if he ever wanted to marry me, he'd have to marry the Volvo too (I married his mustang in return).  That car and I have been through so much together and I just love, love, love how it drives.  From the slow acceleration, stiff steering and low ride to its excellent mileage - I love the whole package.  She's only at 176,000 miles so in Volvo terms, she's just a teenager.  I joke that it will be Abby's first car and she'll probably be the only kid driving a car from the 1990's. 

What I love about the Volvo is that my dad, and now I, have kept it in great condition.  After all, any Volvo owner knows that if you treat them well, they will last a lifetime.  I'm proud that everything is still OEM except for a few fenders, bumpers and headlights from when I was the victim of car accidents.  Well, yesterday Bryce discovered a crack in the radiator and today, I attempted to drive it to my mechanic's but didn't make it far before my temp gage hit red.  So I immediately pulled over and had to get my car towed to the mechanic but I was terrified that it was too late and that I had overheated my engine.  So for about 6 hours today (while I was at home nursing yet another migraine), I finally got a call from my mechanic and he told me I could stop worrying because my engine did not suffer any damage.  WH-EW!  So I'm just getting a new radiator with associated accessories, a tranmission fluid change as well as an oil change. 

I know that one day I will have to part with my Volvo but I really wasn't ready to lose her today.  I'm not big on surprises so this close call was very unexpected.  This story has a happy ending and we're going to pick her up tomorrow evening.  I can't wait to bring her home!

1 comment:

VmarksTheSpot said...

It's funny how we get so attached to certain cars in our lifetime. Our family had a GMC van that was older than my middle sister and served us well on many a road trip. My dad in particular was really attached to it and was determined to keep it going for as long as possible; I think he replaced the engine once or twice. It finally reached its foregone conclusion a few years back. It was hard to see it go -- it was like a member of the family!